Sunday, April 15, 2007

First painting in "?" series



20'' x 24''
Oil on Canvas Board

Greetings everyone,

I'm please to annouce the completion of the first painting in the series titled "Life is like a pandora's box of pesky question marks."

(click on the image above for an extreme closeup)

Life is a series of continuous questions which must be answered and can rarely be ignored. Somehow I want to paint those experiences. I've started the series by illustrating what my questions are:

- Stop painting? (yes I think about pretty frequently)
- Seek career advancement or settle where I am?
- Cut my hair?
- Take a nap or find the energy to do what I have to do?

There never seems to be enough time in the day to paint or draw. That's really due to a lack of time management but hey, I have a full-time job and try to have a life outside of work. Because of those time consuming elements of my life, it's hard to complete a painting. There are a couple pieces that I've started over the past couple years but either get bored with them or lose momentum and they get hidden away. So I do think about satisfiying the artist side by going to more galleries/museums and putting the paints away. I show that by painting a broken glass with a liquid spilled around and a brush broken in half (the latter to illustrate frustration).

I've been at my current company for nearly 4 years. Not bad for a first run out of college, but I need a change of scenary. Therefore I've made the decision of applying to grad school for next Spring '08 and looking for a new job (if you happen to know of any positions in market research, let me know!!) I can certainly stay at the company for a couple more years, but that would stunt my growth. There's a dark chair facing the right which symbolizes staying where I am. Then there's a yellow chair facing the viewer and a winding staircase. Those stand for making a move forward and upward.

As for the hair, it can be distracting at times. Sure I get compliments but it'll be interesting to see it short. Yet, I'm afraid I won't like it and that it would take forever and a day to grow back (if it will). So for now, I'm not going to take the risk.

Oh, it's so hard to resist taking a nap. I can probably take a nap any time of the day or night and probably any place. Perhaps it's due to an iron deficiency but I love sleeping. I also get tired after having a big or medium meal. So when it comes to doing projects for myself, ie painting or looking online for a job, it's hard to stay awake enough to make progress. It can be done, obviously, but it's always a battle, hence part of the painting of the slept-in bed with a calendar overlay. We can't get days back, just have to make the most of the days we have left.

The colors used were just what I felt like using. Since the question marks are yellow, I wanted to include that color in other areas of the painting (piece of glass, a pillow, a pair of scissors, a chair). Doing this helped the color be a little less dominating all concentrated in the middle.




I'm now looking for ideas for the next piece in the series. If you would like to help me with that, I ask that you reply back with 4 questions you would like me to illustrate. In addition, I want you to recommend 4 colors you would like me to use.

Thanks for your continued support and look forward to your feedback.


4 comments:

  1. I love your concept. you're right, life is full of irritating question marks, but it's great to see that you have taken steps to address them. the white light that draws me into the painting while the yellow slowly draws take me away to the other areas. it's an inspiring piece of work... Please let me know if there'll be an installation any time soon.

    Liman

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - nicely done.
    i feel so sleepy all of a sudden and so damn annoyed at myself for it.
    i look forward to your next installment!
    -normal norm

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this piece. For me, it truly captures the rapid streaming of bouncing and whizzing thoughts that can overwhelm and consume one. The seemingly endless questions of what to do, how to complete all the things you want to get to, whether it's a good idea or not, all entangled by a multitude of emotions chafing one another. And doesn't it always happen most at night when you're trying to sleep! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete